03/03/11 - Belga - A fire was deliberately started on Wednesday afternoon, at 16.00, in an equipment room on the seventh floor of the Council of the European Union in Brussels, an official spokesman for the Brussels public prosecutor said on Thursday.
The smell of smoke was detected on the eighth floor. The fire was discovered on the lower floor, and was limited to the equipment room which sustained only slight damage. A wall and wiring were blackened by smoke. Two cans of oil and a burnt cloth were found in the room.
Brussels firefighters were unable to indicate on Thursday whether the building of Rue de la Loi had had to be evacuated or not.